Sick Days & Emergency child care - What do you do with your children?
It is wise to think about a course of action in this situation before it arises and have help as a back up.
Having a contingency plan in place will save you time and energy, not to mention a lot of stress!
Here are some ideas for you to consider:
- Taking turns with your partner at staying home with sick children when necessary.
- If you have parents or in-laws living in the area, you may be surprised at how wonderfully supportive they can be.
- Discuss with your employer arrangements to work from home if possible.
- Talk to neighbours who are stay-at-home mums or family members. You may be surprised how many people are willing to help out in this situation.
- Split the day with your partner, when children are sick you can go to work in the morning, for example, from 7:30 until 12:30, come home, and then your partner can go in and work from 2:00 until 8:00.
- Save your sick days so that you don't have to take unpaid days – ask management about what arrangements can be made with flexible leave practices